by: Shirley Larsen
By thinking ahead you can be organised and have a safe environment for when your newborn baby arrives.
Preparing your baby’s nursery can be one of the most exciting and fun events of pregnancy, deciding the color scheme, furniture and nursery decor theme…….
It does however pay to be aware of safety considerations before spending lots of money at the shops.
Here are a few things to consider for both old and new items:
* Check sizes of all gaps and openings an all furniture, tiny fingers, arms, legs and heads can get caught in gabs.
* Make sure all furniture and equipment meets the American safety standards and recommendations found at American Consumer Product Safety Commission cpsc.gov
* The furniture should be sturdy enough for your baby’s weight and should not have any rough surfaces or sharp edges
Some furniture ideas for the nursery may include diaper change table, baby bath, baby bouncinette or rocker, chest of draws and a comfortable chair for you to sit in when feeding your baby.
Choosing a Crib:
* Ensure that the mattress fits snug in the crib with no gabs. There shouldn’t be any more than 2 fingers between the crib and the mattress. If there is a large gap your baby could trap an arm or a leg.
* Check that the gap between all vertical bars is no more than 2 3/8 inches apart and that they do not bend. Any larger and your child could get their head trapped.
* Regularly check the crib for wear and tear such as peeling paint as this can become a chocking hazard
* Make sure that the sides are high enough. To low and this could allow your child to climb out or even fall from the crib. Make sure that the side rail that slides up and down locks automatically and that the child cannot undo it.
The following are a few tips to ensure a safe environment:
* Do not position your baby s crib near a window, heater or power points. This will reduce the risk of injuries such as strangulation from curtains or cords falls, burns and electric shock
* Do not use electric blankets or hot water bottles
* Do not use u shaped pillows for children under the age of 2. It is not recommended that babies use pillows at all
Enjoy this magical moment but remember not to neglect all safety aspects when designing your newborn baby’s nursery.
Remember a safe baby is a happy baby!
Please visit the American Consumer Product Safety Commission for a full list of crib safety tips and crib recalls.